Easier to get around
The town centre location means that the new store, other shops and restaurants and community space will be easily accessible by public transport, walking, cycling and by car.
- A new pedestrian plaza, closing the northern section of Highland Road to through traffic creating a new vibrant space and a better link with the rest of the town centre. Following comments made at the public consultation we are proposing allowing emergency vehicles to access Highland Road
- Improving the junction at Gravel Hill and Broadway to increase capacity and upgrade pedestrian crossing facilities - making the crossing wider and more convenient.
- Creating two entry and exit points for customers to ease and spread traffic flow with an improved junction layout to accommodate existing traffic at Broadway.
- New pedestrian crossings on Broadway to improve safety Retaining the existing entrance off Albion Road from the south.and accessibility.
- Retaining the existing entrance off Albion Road from the south.
- Improving the streetscape along the Broadway with wider pavements, new street furniture and landscaping
- Improved and extended bus stops and lay-bys on the Broadway close to the store entrance introduced following comments made at the public exhibition and after discussions with London Borough of Bexley and Transport for London.